Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Day The Music Died...

WHY?
Today's posting comes in light of this morning's news regarding the shooting death of former Pantera guitarist "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott. I can't say that I was aware of this band at all in my lifetime, but it sure is a tragic thing to have a couple hundred people watching you perform on stage under the spotlight as you take 5 or 6 rounds to the head and upper torsoe. No doubt, this personally impacts those who followed Pantera over the years, just as much as fans of Great White had to deal with that wicked club fire about a year ago.

Today's list.... Applicable "swan songs" for five musicians whose deaths impacted my life in some memorable way. May they rest in peace.

Kurt Cobain (Nirvana) "I Hate My Life And I Want To Die" from The Beavis And Butt-Head Experience (1993)
April 5, 1994: Kinda hard to not read the signs here. He said he didn't have a gun. He said he wasn't gonna crack. Poor guy. Fame can really turn you the wrong way if you're not careful. Sure enough, a self-inflicted shotgun blast brought all the pain to an abrupt end. I remember getting the news just before I was to meet a blind date for dinner on a Friday night. Of course, it wasn't too shocking since there was that attempted drug overdose a month or so prior. My date had no idea who Nirvana was.

John Denver "Leaving On A Jet Plane" from Rhymes And Reasons (1969)
October 13, 1997: I grew up during the John Denver decade. He was all over the radio. He was on all the great all-star network shows. He was in Oh, God. He was everywhere. Many of his hits were branded into my memory at an early age, therefore, they always endured the times. Heard about his private plane crash one morning while getting ready to take my daughter to school. I tried to explain to her who he was and what he meant to me, but I couldn't really compare him to anyone in the late 90's. Carrot Top doesn't count.

Jerry Garcia (Grateful Dead) "He's Gone" from Europe `72 (1972)
August 9, 1995: I'm not the traditional deadhead. I've never done drugs in my life (unless you count the second-hand smoke at the four shows I went to). I got into them only after "Touch Of Gray" went top 40. Still, I can consider myself an expert on their extensive catalog of music thanks to my piqued curiosity and love for what most people dismiss. I heard about Jerry's death the morning they found him. I was getting ready for work and L.A. area DJ Nicole Sandler broke in with the news. It nearly stopped my heart. I was glued to the radio as I drove to work, and switched it on once I got there. After about an hour, I managed to get someone else to cover my shift so I could just take it all in. I went online (Prodigy... back in the day, folks) where everyone seemed to be pouring out their emotions. It was amazing to watch. Thankfully, I was able to take my daughter to see the Dead in Vegas in the summer of 1994. It's nice to be able to say you've seen some legends in your time.

John Lennon (the Beatles) "In My Life" from Rubber Soul (1965)
December, 8, 1980: I was eleven years old, and all I remember is watching Monday Night Football with my pop. Howard Cossell took a minute to read the news that was just being reported. John Lennon, shot by a fan in New York City. Thanks to channel 5 for playing Yellow Submarine on television several times in my youth, I was aware of the Beatles, on an animated level anyway. The news images of the candlelight vigils will always stick with me. I recall playing my ONE Beatles 45 ("Yellow Submarine" b/w "Eleanor Rigby") over and over in tribute... yes, even at that age. Is there any justification for taking the life of someone who has inspired so much love?

Elvis Presley "My Way" from Elvis In Concert (1977)
August 16, 1977: I'll never forget this one. It was an overcast day. I was running around with a friend of mine. I was wearing a bright red sweatshirt and blue Toughskins. It started to sprinkle a little bit, so I decided to come inside for the evening. The lights were low in the house. I walked into the kitchen and the radio was on with the news. I knew who he was and that this was important news. The world reeled in disbelief. Three days later, we lost Groucho Marx. I think that was the week where I learned to appreciate legacies that remain. That explains the 130+ Elvis CDs in my collection. He may have looked like complete Hell near the end, but he still had the voice... and he did it his way.

Feel free to share your own personal top fives.

1 Comments:

Blogger RadioOrNot said...

Probably not the most appropriate place to post a hype, but I appreciate your mentioning me in your blog! I vividly remember the morning we broke the news that Jerry Garcia had died. A listener actually called with the info...KSCA had no wire service and, as you said, it really was pre-internet. Anyway, come on over and check out my blog and podcast at RadioOrNot.com.
Nicole Sandler

12:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home