Wednesday, November 24, 2004

We're Idaho! (tribute to Ralph Wiggum)

Highway To Hell
Days like this remind me of some of the old road trips that my buddy Michael and I used to take out of state. Maybe it has to do with the chill in the air, or just being behind the wheel. Anyway, Mike and I had some great times, which are very well documented. Some of the memories that always stick with me involve the music we listened to or discovered at the time. Often we would visit Record Exchange when we made it up to Boise. We would even buy new stuff and get into it on the way home. Good times. What follows are some of my favorite musical memories with "Lefty":

Patty Griffin "Not Alone" from Living With Ghosts (1996)
I was already heavily into Patty's music at this time, and Mike and I had already experienced the film Niagara Niagara, which featured this song. Beautiful stuff. I brought this CD on one of our first trips, just to find myself falling asleep (as a passenger) while driving south into Nevada, and waking up to this album. I guess it was played over a couple times because it was so damn good. Glad to have turned Mike onto something new without forcing it. I love sharing good stuff.

The Beta Band "Dry The Rain" from The 3 E.P.s (1998)
Fresh off a viewing of High Fidelity, it was necessary to pick up the album from which this song came. Groovalicious, to say the least. Could be about 12 minutes longer, though.

Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes "Custard Pie" from Live At The Greek (2000)
The first trip to Boise: ...driving in the dark, in the middle of nowhere... with "ICE" displayed on the outside tempature readout. We decided to pull over and try to sleep, but it was too DAMN cold! So, we got back on the road with fumes in the tank. Idiots. Thankfully this Zeppelin set rocked us to safety.

Jayhawks "A Break In The Clouds" from Smile (2000)
I think this was Mike's introduction to this band. We both took a sincere liking to this one early on. I think he even bought a `Hawks CD at the RX. It helps to have that whole Wilco, Golden Smog background happening. I must say... the complete Jayhawks catalog is required listening. In fact, I'd base a whole road trip on the return of Jen Gunderman, if that ever happens.

Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise "Baby" from Time To Discover (2000)
Quite possibly the Holy Grail of road trip memories. I just found this song on a KGSR radio station compilation CD. When we got to Boise, and did some shopping at the RX, I found the full-length CD in the used bin and took a chance. I remember falling in love with the song all over again, and to be there the first time Mike heard it was classic. Since then, this song ALWAYS makes me happy. It's an instant cheer-up. I even played it at the last show I did in October to a packed house at the Liquid Lounge. I highly recommend anyone with soul to check this CD out. It will always be a favorite of mine, and it will always be tied into good times.

Feel free to share your favorite road trip soundtracks.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home