Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Chillin' With Dylan

Young Bob Ol' Bob
Breaking away from the "current events" trend of my postings, I've opted to get back to the music today. Bob Dylan ranks as the singer-songwriter of our time by the standards of many. He may not be singing with Outkast or writing material for Snoop's next record, but his influence is evident in the world we live in. Sure, he may not be "hot" according to Paris Hilton, and it may be hard not to mock his voice when he comes up in casual conversation, but Bob Dylan is important.

From the archives of my massive music collection... I've uncovered five Bob Dylan songs that I would prefer not to live without. And, for the first time, I will tell ya why.

"Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You" from Nashville Skyline (1969)
From Bob's "nasally" period. The one album where he sounded like this. Fifteen years after owning Bob's Greatest Hits album, the hits became less important than the deep album cuts. This album was purchased during a personal roots revival period, and was further vitalized by this track's background appearance in the John Cusack film High Fidelity.

"If Not For You" from The Bootleg Series, Vol. 1-3: 1961-1991 (1970)
Of course, this song has long been a favorite of mine ever since I picked up George Harrison's All Things Must Pass. However, this version is the quintessential take... an alternate, informal run-through with the legendary Beatle. Needless to say, the pairing of George's guitar and Bob's yearning vocal on this recording is nothing short of jaw-dropping. I bought this set before I was a hardcore Dylan fan, mainly because my collection demanded more "bootleg" material. Glad I did.

"Like A Rolling Stone" from Before The Flood (1974)
Yeah... this one is a "hit", I know. The difference is in the performance. I recall getting wrapped up in a film called New York Stories, which was comprised of three short films by different directors. One of the films starred Nick Nolte as a tortured artist. During one angry painting scene, his boom box is blasting this amazing, rocking cover of "Like A Rolling Stone". A cover? Nope. I soon discovered that it was Bob, backed by the Band, recorded live in concert (captured on Before The Flood). This would only lead in to researching more facets of Bob's career and ultimately The Last Waltz (thank goodness). Like I need to keep opening more doors...

"Tangled Up In Blue" from Blood On The Tracks (1975)
Of all things, I blame KLOS for this one. It was summertime in the mid 80's, and I was driving near PCH. "Tangled..." came on and I spent the next five and a half minutes in awe as the details of this song-story rushed past me. I'll never forget hearing, "Early one mornin' the sun was shinin', I was layin' in bed. Wond'rin' if she'd changed at all. If her hair was still red." Loose ends always make for great beginnings... middles.. and ends to songs. When was the last time you heard a song go longer than five minutes on the radio?

"Most Of The Time" from Oh Mercy (1989)
Now, decidely the one Bob Dylan song that moves me like no other. Thank you Nick Hornby for High Fidelity. This song appeared in the film adaptation of the book, in a very poignant and emotional scene. That's all it took. This masterpiece of a song has the best bass line ever, so don't blame me if you play this one over and over again. The lyrics are desperate denials of our hero's baggage, and his inability to cleanly cut his ties. "I don't even care if I ever see her again. Most of the time." Brilliant and infectious. A perfect drinking partner for the broken-hearted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Suze said...

you sir, are AMAZING!
i am surprised that you even attempted this task. there are so many great songs.....
i love the way you describe each song.
i'm on a dylan kick thanks to you.
seriously, THANK YOU!

~Suze

9:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home