Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Holy crap!

How's my hair look NOW?
I have a certain respect for folks who make musical magic. I cannot, however, respect that ridiculous "Chia Pet" of a hairdo that Phil Spector is sportin' these days. I mean, if he even thinks he stands a chance of overcoming his murder accusation, he's gonna need to start using some Aqua Net. Jesus.

Who knows... maybe he thought the hair dryer was a favorite pistol and just got too carried away. You know how he is with his toys.

And if that wasn't enough... it looks like he's getting married this weekend at the site of the murder he is accused of. Is it the location he chose that irks me, or is it that someone agreed to be his bride? This guy may give Michael Jackson a run for the money in regards to tabloid fodder.

Today's list.... Oh, I don't know... five great moments in the production career of Phil Spector... a musical genius with a killer touch:

"You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" the Righteous Brothers, from You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' (1965)
I believe this song still stands as the most-played song in the history of American radio. Full of painful emotion... a great call-and-answer bridge... and a wall of sound. I don't ever get tired of this one.

"Gimme Some Truth" John Lennon, from Imagine (1971) Footage of this session can be seen in the DVD entitled "Gimme Some Truth". John is going to town on this one, and Phil does his best to keep him from blowing out his voice so early. Great performance and fine direction from Phil.

"Be My Baby" the Ronettes, from Today's Hits (1963) A classic. There's something about those drums and the sexy voice of Ronnie Spector. And, if you're looking for a sequel... I recommend "Take Me Home Tonight" by Eddie Money. Ronnie is featured recreating her call to her lover. Priceless.

"Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio?" the Ramones, from End Of The Century (1980) The story goes that Phil pulled a gun on Dee Dee Ramone during these sessions. Maybe he got confused and thought that he was Phil Ramone (famous producer) and got jealous. Regardless, some vintage Ramones-rock was put to tape. Check it out!

"What Is Life" George Harrison, from All Things Must Pass (1970) By far, my favorite work by Phil (and also my favorite by George). Some of the most emotional music I've ever heard is on this multi-LP set. This song, however, is one that reminds me of the original Spector sound, complete with pounding drums driving it home. Feel-good music, they call it. Side note: this song is also featured during a chase scene in "Goodfellas".

Do you have five in the chamber? Let's hear 'em!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"musical genius with a killer touch"

that is high-larious

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home